There is a movement underway in healthcare
A transition is occurring from the status quo of traditional fee-for-service to more of a retail market where the patient is at the center.
In the retail world, we typically know what something costs before we buy it. Yet in healthcare, patients undergo tests, surgery and other services without fully knowing the complete cost of those services until the bill comes.
How can healthcare groups prepare for this change?
The catalyst for this transition in the healthcare industry is based on a number of factors:
- The Affordable Care Act. ACR is moving the health industry away from a fee-for-service model towards value-based purchasing that is based on quality.
- As consumers, patients are accustomed to transparency. They now expect the same level of service and transparency as they experience with other industries such as retail. Why – the growth of high-deductible health plans has put more financial burden on patients as they absorb more of the cost of their care.
- Third-party online review sites. Healthgrades, Vitals and other online directories influence consumer choice regarding providers.
- New state mandated requirements for healthcare transparency.
How to utilize your website to support patient access and improve your patients’ experience.
There are many practical solutions that you can add to your website. These resources will help to increase access to care, allow patients to understand cost and enhance your patients’ experience. These include:
- create an online financing center to post participating plans, online bill pay, financing options and more
- provide online scheduling
- ensure that you promote your patient portal effectively
- post a price listing of your medical procedures and services
- add links to payers’ cost estimate tools
- enable online bill pay
- post your quality ratings
- add HIPAA complaint patient forms and questionnaires so that you can collect and verify information before the patient arrives
- to enable patients to post feedback, configure patient reviews on your website
Need help? Please contact Practis to discuss what makes sense for your group.